The Whittlesea Courthouse celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2014. Built in 1864, the Courthouse is one of the oldest functional buildings in the municipality. Operating as a Court of Petty sessions until 1989, it was later restored and reopened to the public in 1996. The site features a single-cell lockup, which was built in 1859 to serve the Yan Yean area.
The Courthouse played an important role in the daily life and development of the district. Apart from court proceedings, meetings of the Whittlesea Roads Board were held here, and in 1875 hosted a meeting of the newly established Whittlesea Shire Council.
The Courthouse located on the corner of Church and Beech Streets, Whittlesea now houses the Visitor Information Centre where it provides local arts and crafts for sale. Historical and visitor information is also available. The courthouse is surrounded by picnic facilities within its scenic surroundings.
Source: Cultural Heritage Program 2014
Photo: Whittlesea Courthouse ca 2000. Yarra Plenty Regional Library collection