Creativity can often feel like a solitary pursuit - particularly for writers. That is, unless you make creative boosts a part of your life and routine. We’re proud to be the home of the Write and Publish Maker Space; a place you can go that’s designed to ignite your creativity, and to put you in the company of like-minded creatives.
Here are our top five tips to unlock your creativity:
1. Read, read, read. You know that old saying, ‘Garbage in, garbage out’? It works the other way too: if you put good things in, your work improves without even consciously trying. Find something new to get excited about. Read a book that you don’t want to put down. Surround yourself with works that you wish you’d written.
2. Julia Cameron, author of The Artist’s Way, encourages creative people to take themselves on regular ‘artist dates’, which help to ‘fill the well’ of creativity. She says, “The Artist Date is a once-weekly, festive, solo expedition to explore something that interests you”. So what are you curious about? Follow it. Play with it. Take time to tap into your creativity.
3. Get into a routine. Creative routines are fascinating things, and it can be hard to know where to start. For interviews with creative people talking about how they spend their days, you might like to have a look at the Extraordinary Routines blog. For books about creativity, check out these on how to Jump start your writing habit.
4. Just get started. It’s far easier to work with a page full of writing that’s less than perfect than it is to work with a blank page. So write a sentence today. Put an idea down on paper. You might be surprised by what you have to say!
5. Visit the Write and Publish Maker Space at Watsonia Library. Across May and June, Watsonia Library is hosting an Unlock Your Creativity program. It includes a group course that moves through The Artist’s Way step by step; drop-in-and-write sessions; yoga for creativity; creative journalling and more. It’s all designed to help you unlock your creativity.
The Artist's Way is a classic and has encourage millions of readers to get in touch with their creative selves. If you've always wanted to write that book, take up painting or just live a more creative life, these books will help you to nurture that creativity.
Much-loved self-guided program to unlock your creativity.
Inspiring memoir about getting in touch with your own creative magic.
Practical exercises to unlock your creativity.
Guided meditations for increasing calm and creativity.
Design, Experiment, Test, Innovate, Build, Create, Inspire, and Unleash your Genius
The ultimate guide to writing - from getting started to overcoming writers block.
Exercises to help you face the blank page.
Learn how to bullet journal, a tool used by many artists and creatives.
A manifesto on conceiving and making art.
Never too young to start on the creative journey!
Explore the world through an artists' eyes.