The Shillinglaw farm comprised lot 90 of Holloway’s 1851 Little Eltham subdivision. It was originally 30 acres in area and situated east of the Diamond Creek and north of Henry Street. Before Phillip Shillinglaw purchased the property in the 1870s the eastern part had been acquired by the Colonial Government to establish the main road to Kangaroo Ground. In subsequent years the size of land was reduced in stages, mostly by Government or Council acquisition. These included purchase of land for the railway including Eltham station in the early 1900s and the acquisitions for Council parkland between the railway and the creek. The final part of the land came into Council ownership in 1964 when the site of Shillinglaw Cottagewas purcjased for its new shire offices. The cottage was saved by community action and moved to its present site just outside the original farm boundary. Part of the Eltham Town Centre is included within the original boundaries of lot 90.
Source: Eltham District Historical Society