New titles for Eltham Local History

Two new additions to the local history collection includes A history of Saint Margaret's Church Eltham: Volume 2 The Transition years 1889 to 1945.  This completes the three volume history by Dr Geoffrey Sandy.

From about the turn of the century until the end of WW2 the Church of England in Eltham, along with the wider society, was transformed. The wider society was transformed under the impact of a crippling economic depression and two devastating world wars. The emergence of the welfare state and greater equalitarianism were two major transformative events. The church too was impacted by these world events especially WW1. During this period the Eltham church was transformed for a somewhat reformed worship and theologicial view to one which was increasingly catholic. It is also a period where Saint Margaret's was constrained in its ministry and mission by a lack of resources. However, it was well served by a number of exemplary vicars and laypersons. This story is related in Volume 2. It is a mixture of success and disappointment. It is also a story of perserverance and faithfulness to the Gospel. However, by the mid-1940s Saint Margaret's had become a small and lifeless parish. Its future was not assured. Volume 2 also relates a summary history of other faith communities which have a shared history with Saint Margaret's. These include the Church of the Transfiguration Research, Saint Mathews's Panton Hill and Saint Faith's Montmorency.

Our Eltham Artistic Reflections celebrates the life of the Eltham Shire and its Pioneers since the opening of the cemetery 150 years ago. The collection uses visual narratives from our past, environment and community, and is part of a vision by the Eltham Cemetery Trust to offer a fresh and unique relationship to the Cemetery.

We welcome your respectful and on-topic comments and questions in this public forum. To find out more, please see Appropriate Use When Posting Content. Community-contributed content represents the views of the user, not those of Yarra Plenty Regional Library