What is Kanopy?
Kanopy is a video streaming service featuring movies, documentaries, foreign films, classic cinema, independent films and educational videos.
It's “thoughtful entertainment” suitable for adults and children. There is a specific Kanopy Kids collection available. All Kanopy services can be accessed on your TV, mobile phone, tablets and online. There are approximately 60% documentaries, 20% feature filmes, 20% instructional (courses, languages and career). You will find new content uploaded continually.
How can Kanopy be accessed?
Kanopy can be accessed by visiting www.kanopy.com.
Find YPRL on the Kanopy site and then enter your membership card information when prompted. Follow the simple instructions to create a Kanopy account using your email address or Facebook/Google login to start watching.
Kanopy can be used on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, android, android TV, chromecast, TelstraTV, fireTV and fire tablet.
What features does Kanopy have?
- Members can watch 6 videos per month per user
- Popular films include Lion, Carol, Boy erased and 1000’s more
- Subjects include the arts, business, global studies and languages, health, sciences, social sciences
- Movie types include Independent Cinema, World Cinema, Classic Cinema, Drama, Comedy, War & Action, Romance, Horror & Thriller, Science Fiction & Fantasy, LGBTQ Cinema, Early Film, Short Film and TV Series
- Kanopy Kids includes ABC Kids, movies, TV series, Australian stories and classics
- Films are available in over 70 languages
- Films can be added to a watchlist
- Closed captions, subtitles and transcripts can be enabled
How do Kanopy credits work?
- Each member who creates an account is allocated 6 credits per month
- Credits are reset on the 1st of each month
- Unused credits expire at the end of the month
- After 5 seconds of starting a video, 1 credit will be used
- Users have 3 days to watch a video but can watch it any number of times
- Exceptions to these credits are Kanopy Kids and the Great Courses (see below for info)
Can I use Kanopy for events and activities?
Yes, our Kanopy subscription includes public performance rights.
Kanopy videos can be watched by all authorized viewers, whether in a group or individual viewing context.
Viewing films in a group is fine as long as the viewing is by authorized viewers and it is not for commercial benefit (i.e. no admission costs are charged and no profit is made from the screening).
Note: as with all streaming solutions, if you are considering showing a Kanopy video to a large audience, you will need to ensure you have enough internet connection at the location of the group showing.
What are the Great Courses?
Kanopy provides patrons with 30-days of unlimited plays for any series from The Great Courses.
This means that once a patron plays 5 seconds or more of an episode from the Great Courses, the patron will have unlimited plays on that series for a rolling 30 days.
Kanopy Kids provides patrons with 30-days of unlimited plays for any video in Kanopy Kids.
Kanopy Kids features a collection of films and TV series that inspire and inform, helping children develop social emotional skills and reinforce valuable learning topics, such as history, science, and new languages. Kanopy Kids has a diverse selection of educational and entertaining content that range across Movies, TV Series, Animated Storybooks, Live Action, and Animated favourites.
Kanopy Kids is appropriate for children ages 2 and up, with a focus on Kids age 2-8. Parents can also choose to implement parental controls to enable them to stay within the dedicated Kanopy Kids area for age-appropriate content. With Parental Controls enabled, parents will need to enter their custom PIN when exiting Kanopy Kids to watch content outside of the KK collection. Parental Control PINs can be created directly in Kanopy Kids and can be changed anytime by parents. You can find a step-by-step guide on how to set your Parental Controls here.
For more detailed information on Kanopy please visit the Kanopy support page directly.