The area known for many years as Edendale Farm at Eltham was purchased from the Crown in 1852 by pioneer Eltham farmer Henry Stooke. He initially purchased 51 acres and later expanded his holdings by purchasing another three adjacent Crown allotments.
While he worked and cleared the land he did not actually reside on the site. The existing Edendale homestead was constructed in 1896 after the 51 acre holding was purchased by Thomas Cool, who used Edendale as his Eltham residence but did not farm the land. There has been an interesting history from the time Stooke established the property through to the current day.
At our meeting on 13th February our president Jim Connor will cover this story, as well as touch on future plans for Edendale, which is now owned and operated by the Nillumbik Shire Council.
Source: Eltham District Historical Society