One hundred and fifty years of permanent settlement at Arthurs Creek was celebrated in October 2012.
The selection acts of the 1860s were the result of pressure to unlock the land held by squatters. The acts encouraged closer settlement and increased agricultural production, by allowing former leaseholders and settlers of limited means to locate themselves on land which they could call their own.
Under the Duffy Land Act 1862, which came into force on 10 September 1862, pastoral leases in the Arthurs Creek district were cancelled and the land surveyed and thrown open for selection. The first selectors took up land at the site of the present township.
A scattered and growing population developed a strong sense of community and sought opportunities for social interaction and self-improvement. An early focus was provided through the local church and school, which was soon followed by the establishment of a Mechanics Institute and Free Library in 1887.
The Mechanics Institute has published a brief history of Arthurs Creek and the Institute by local historian Bruce Draper. The 33 page booklet is available to access in the local history collection at Eltham Library,