Arthurs Creek 150 Years

One hundred and fifty years of permanent settlement at Arthurs Creek was celebrated in October 2012.   The selection acts of the 1860s were the result of pressure to unlock the land held by   squatters. The acts encouraged closer settlement and increased agricultural production, by allowing former leaseholders and settlers of limited means to locate themselves…
View More about Arthurs Creek 150 Years

Pioneers of Plenty

The following is a list of names of those persons who purchased land in Plenty following the subdivisions of land that took place in 1907, 1913 and 1917. LANDOWNERS PLENTY 1913 SUBDIVISION PORTION 3 ANDERSON, George Burnett   BARNES, Dick BARNES Ethelwyn BEDFORD, Albert Thomas BROWN John Kelsall BUTLER, John (Initial Subdivider) BUTLER, Matthew Thomas (Joint…
View More about Pioneers of Plenty

Little Eltham

For well over half a century following European settlement, the Eltham district was very much a farming community. The small village that grew up in Holloway’s “Little Eltham” subdivision serviced the local farmers and even within the village much of the land was used as small farms. It was not until the 1910s and 20s…
View More about Little Eltham

Edendale Farm

The area known for many years as Edendale Farm at Eltham was purchased from the Crown in 1852 by pioneer Eltham farmer Henry Stooke. He initially purchased 51 acres and later expanded his holdings by purchasing another three adjacent Crown allotments. While he worked and cleared the land he did not actually reside on the…
View More about Edendale Farm

Eltham Gateway

The Eltham Gateway is the name adopted for the section of Main Road Eltham leading from the roundabout at Fitzsimons Lane to the Eltham town centre.   The name has its origin in a 1987 planning report for Eltham Shire Council that identified this precinct as having special characteristics that warrant special planning protection. The…
View More about Eltham Gateway

Princes Bridge to Hurst’s Bridge

The story of the Hurstbridge railway, with its strange and disjointed origins linked to the “railwaymania” of the 1880s, has much of interest to social, local and railway historians. Oddly, the first section of it to open to traffic was completely isolated from the rest of the rail network. When the railway to Heidelberg was…
View More about Princes Bridge to Hurst’s Bridge

Read Under the Stars this Summer

Monday 1 December 2014 to Sunday 1 February 2015 Aged 13-18? YRead is Yarra Plenty Regional Library’s summer reading program, which runs from Monday 1 December 2014 until Sunday 1 February 2015. This summerYRead will have you Reading Under the Stars, and each of our library branches will have events on throughout the school holidays to celebrate this theme…
View More about Read Under the Stars this Summer

Call for Toorourrong Reservoir stories

A working group has been formed as part of the Whittlesea Bushfire Memorial Group to source photos, information and stories concerning the Toorourrong Reservoir from its inception in the 1860’s to the present day, including the devastating 2009 bushfires.    The rotunda at Toorourrong that was situated near the carpark, surprisingly was one of the few…
View More about Call for Toorourrong Reservoir stories

Local Anzac Stories

To acknowledge the Anzac centenary Yarra Plenty Regional Library will gather and publish local World War One Stories telling the stories of our men and women from Whittlesea, Nillumbik and Banyule who served in any capacity in World War One. Do you have a story to tell?  Have you researched a local story?  We are looking…
View More about Local Anzac Stories

Whittlesea Courthouse 150th

The Whittlesea Courthouse celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2014.  Built in 1864, the Courthouse is one of the oldest functional buildings in the municipality.  Operating as a Court of Petty sessions until 1989, it was later restored and reopened to the public in 1996.  The site features a single-cell lockup, which was built in 1859…
View More about Whittlesea Courthouse 150th
11 - 20 of 24